You can affect the development of drawing skills in children in a number of ways.
1. Choose the corner in a room for drawing (Image 1), a place in the room where the child will be able to keep all the art supplies and develop his creativity.
2. Make sure the child is sitting at the table in the right way. The correct position (posture) will help him concentrate on what he does.
3. Make sure to show interest in the child’s drawing, do not make your own conclusions to the drawing, ask your child to explain it.
4. If a child draws a trip where you were together, talk about the event, remember the moments that happened there, let the child choose which moment of the day was most impressed and then draw it..
5. If the child complains that he doesn’t know something to draw, discuss about that problem, describe a subject or event of the child’s observation point (eg. What else do you see? What is there in the park? As the leaves on the trees? How big was the tree in the forest? How is the wind blowing? …)
6. Read your child a story, then ask him to draw the moment of the story that he liked the most. You can do a little picture book in which a child draws his story. Thus develops the imagination and encourages creativity.
7. When you are buying art supplies, offer the child a number of different art supplies, and let a child decide which art supplies he wants.
8. If you want to encourage creativity in children, make sure your child have more than one type of art materials, such as pencils, modeling playdough, pastels, crayons, markers, etc.
9. Prepare exhibit with child’s drawings so the child and the other family members can comment on their work.
Image 1. The creativity corner
Obstruction of children’s creativity
What can distract children’s creativity?
1. Coloring books and drawing to children, although the coloring of finished forms used to practice painting within the lines, encourage your child to draft the entire drawing on them own.
2. It is not a good idea to correct a child’s drawing, instead, we can give the child a variety graphomotor exercise, and in that way encourage the child to draw shapes correctly.
3. Assessment of children’s artworks is not advisable.
4. Never criticize a child’s drawing, it effects on the self-esteem of the child, eventually the child will just add all the missing details of the drawing.